Friday, July 23, 2021

Daily Lesson for July 23, 2021

 Today's Daily Lesson comes from Psalm 40 verse 9:


In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:
'I love to do your will, O my God;
your law is deep in my heart.'"

When I was just out of seminary and waiting on someone named Irie Turner to graduate college, I did a lot of substitute teaching in the Durham Public Schools. One of the things I always found helpful were the comments many of the teachers left beside the names in their roll books. That is where you could find the names of the students who could be trusted to be of help, and sometimes some helpful advice on how to relate to those students who were likely to be a bit more challenging. The roll book revealed much, and could be an ever-present help in times of trouble!

What would be written beside your name in the roll book of life?
What would God say about you? What does God see and appreciate?

Most of the teachers I subbed for loved and respected their students. They were not disillusioned or cynical. They found good, positive words to describe their students -- even the tough ones.

I think God is like that. And written in the margins of God's roll book are words of appreciation and respect and maybe a quote or two from us that even on a hard day brought joy and delight.

On this last day of the work week, let's try to live up to the best of what God has written about us in the roll book. We wouldn't want to disappoint.

Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas.

PS: I'm headed to church camp with our children next week and then will be off for some vacation time. Look for Daily Lesson to return in early August. Until then, be good the subs!

No comments:

Post a Comment