Monday, August 9, 2021

Daily Lesson for August 9, 2021

 Today's Daily Lesson comes from Acts chapter 20 verses 34 through 35:


34You know for yourselves that I worked with my own hands to support myself and my companions. 35In all this I have given you an example that by such work we must support the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, for he himself said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” ’

Several years ago I traveled with two men from my church, Jim Smith and Bob Wyett, from Lubbock to San Antonio for a funeral. We three spent the night together in a hotel, and they both expressed gladness that there was a blow dryer affixed to the hotel bathroom, which wouldn't be all that unusual except that Jim and Bob are both bald.

Jim and Bob wanted the blow dryer so they could dry off their razors. Apparently drying the razor off, keeps the blade sharper for longer.

Jim and Bob are not rich, but they have more than enough to meet their own needs; they can certainly afford razors. But they're frugal. And not only that, they are also both incredibly generous. In fact, they're the kinds who whenever somebody is in need, they're always willing to step up and help.

They're willing -- and able.

And that little night in the hotel with those two churchmen taught me a whole heck of a lot about stewardship, and how it is that somebody with enough can care enough to have even more to spare.

Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment