Monday, July 12, 2021

Daily Lesson for July 12, 2021

 Today's Daily Lesson comes from Psalm 25 verse 13:


"The Lord is a friend to those who fear him
and will show them his covenant."

I hesitate to write anything on the fear of the Lord because fear has been so misused by the church for so long.

Too many have been taught to fear God like they would an abusive parent. This is spiritual malpractice.

There is, however, a kind of fear of God that is healthy, and good and leads us into a more profound and respecting appreciation for the love of God.

As John Donne said, "The love of God begins in fear . . . and the fear of God ends in love."

Perfect love casts out all fear -- all fear of abuse, and harm, and anything but God's character of deep love, passion, and compassion.

The hymn Amazing Grace says:

"Twas grace that taught mine heart to fear
And grace mine fears relieved"

The Psalmist says, "Show me your ways, teach me your path." My path was once wayward and rebellious, and very, very dark. I am grateful for the grace given even in the fear of God, which lead me to a place of absolute surrender, that I might know that mercy and love of God.

For the fear of the Lord and the love of the Lord are not so different. And in the end, all is grace.

Rev. Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment