Monday, December 20, 2021

Daily Lesson for December 20, 2021

 Today's Daily Lesson comes from Luke chapter 1 verses 24 and 25:


24 After those days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and for five months she remained in seclusion. She said, 25‘This is what the Lord has done for me when he looked favourably on me and took away the disgrace I have endured among my people.’

Five months.

I'm not sure I ever noticed how long it was. But then again, I wasn't looking.

But if anyone who has ever lost a pregnancy or, like Elizabeth, only been pregnant in old age, they would have noticed.

Five months in seclusion -- waiting, wondering, hoping, but not wanting to hope too much.

The joy was contained. The fear of shame and loss so real. One little sickness or sudden move seemed to risk it all.

So she was shut in.

People stay home for all manner of reasons. The aged, and frail, and immuno-compromised, and anxious have their reasons -- especially now.

There should be no judgment about that. Just this good news:

Christmas came to Elizabeth's house also.

Thanks be to God.

Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment