Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Daily Lesson for December 14, 2021

 Today’s Daily Lesson comes from Revelation chapter 3 verses 15 through 18:


15 ‘I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. 16So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17For you say, “I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing.” You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich . . .


The Lesson this morning comes from words written to the church at Laodicea, a church which was rich in wealth but poor in spirit. 


It was wealthy, but it had not suffered. And, I imagine, it had not suffered because it had not risked. That is how it was wealthy. It’s wealth was a sign of its caution. 


The words come to the church of Laodicea that it is to buy a “gold refined by fire”.  


This is a summons to courage. A call to care and action. A charge to risk. 


William Sloane Coffin had a phrase in his famous benediction that Steve Shoemaker adapted and used week by week here at Broadway:


“To risk something big for something good.”


That was a word for the church at Laodicea. 


It’s a word for any church ready to see that the gold refined by fire is a good that is better than the green that can’t bear even tiniest of little flames. 


Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment