Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Daily Lesson for June 22, 2021

 This morning I am sharing the remarks I gave at last night’s Fort Worth ISD School Board Meeting. The Board has come under attack for its work on racial equity and cultural inclusion.  At last night’s meeting hundreds gathered to protest or support the District’s policy decisions.  All on the other side of the debate spoke out against CRT, some linking the District’s focus on equity to brain washing, Marxism, vaccination war crimes, and evil. 


It was an interesting meeting, and tense at times.  I was confronted by one person who said I should be ashamed to call myself a pastor because of my support of the Board. I am not. 


Public remarks were limited to one minute.  Many of us who spoke in support of the District’s equity work ended our remarks with the words Truth, Humanity, and Unity:


Good evening President Ramos, Dr. Scribner and Members of the Board. 

 

I am the Rev. Ryon Price, and I have three children in Fort Worth ISD public schools.  I am also the Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church here in town, and a member of Pastors for Texas Children.

 

I wish to commend the Board for its courage in seeking to specifically address the issues of racial and cultural inequity within our District.  And I want to encourage you to continue in that work, as achieving a more equitable and inclusive place of learning for all students is essential for the future of our community.

 

In the church we have a saying: “Keep your hand on the plow.”  You’re plowing hard ground.  The roots of racism and inequity are deep, and they are trenchant.  So how much more reason to hold on tight, and keep at it for the sake of truth, humanity, and unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment