Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Daily Lesson for February 9, 2021

 Today’s Daily Lesson comes from 2 Timothy chapter 1 verses 5 through 7:


5I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. 6For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; 7for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.


Several years back Irie and I went up to Michigan to visit her grandmother, a strong and pious woman and pillar of church — the same one where Aretha Franklin’s funeral took place. 


While in her home, I saw her Bible along with a prayer list which one of the cousins said she prayed daily. It had the name of the President, the Governor, the Congressional leaders, the Mayor, friends and every member of the whole extended family from child to great-grandchild all listed by name. It was pretty powerful to read and to know that my children whose names were all on the list were being lifted up to God. 


One of these days the children and grandchildren are going to need aid, and they will draw strength and spiritual sustenance from “the effectual prayers of the faithful”; for Grandma Eva’s prayer list is long and the power of its legacy will be even longer. 


I believe that. 


Rev. Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment