Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Daily Lesson for February 9, 2016

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Philippians chapter 3 verses 3 through 9:

"[P]ut no confidence in the flesh—4 though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. 7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him."

In the end the good news is that nothing can save us except God. But the good news is also disturbing news because it forces us to accept the passing away of all that which is not God.

Tribe passes, along with all political parties and sectarian divides. Religion is swallowed up. Pride of nation is drowned in a vast sea of love. Javert's zeal finds peace in surrendering to the mercy found in Bishop Myriel. Righteous pretense is proved impure in the purifying light which exposes all things great and small. Heaven and earth pass away.

And all else save the gain of God and Christ are found to be rubbish, worthless, fool's gold.

It's good news for those who believe; but it's disturbing news to the present order and import of all things here and now.

In the end nothing will save us except God; all else must then die and be mourned.

No comments:

Post a Comment