Friday, February 5, 2016

Daily Lesson for February 5, 2016

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Hebrews chapter 12 verses 5 through 10:


“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him.
6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives.”
7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness.

Yesterday I wanted very much to be somewhere with some people I care deeply about. Alas, one of my son's case of Strep Throat thwarted my plans. I was deeply disappointed. Then later in the day after we came home from the doctor's office with the official diagnosis, I look up and see the boys have decided to share the sucker the doctor was so kind to give us. Shared sucker. Shared strep.  I nearly blew a gasket. I was angry at the boys, resentful of having to miss something important, and wondering if there was a hotline to call and report the doctor for violating her Hippocratic Oath to do no harm.

Today I see my own sin -- my own impatience, resentfulness, and tendency to blame. Today I can see more clearly what I do when life is beyond my control.

I don't like seeing all this in myself. I don't like seeing the sin. I don't like being stung with its truth. In short, I don't like being disciplined the way God disciplined me yesterday.

Yet like my one, and probably now two sons I have to take my medicine. I don't like the way it tastes, but I know it's good for me. I know it's God's way of making me well, making me whole, making me holy.

Anger and blame are besetting sins which come out when I can't control things. That's a serious diagnosis. And yesterday I had to take a strong dose of acceptance.  I winced when I swallowed it.

And I didn't even get a sucker afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment