Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Daily Lesson for February 24, 2016

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Psalm 119 verses

89 Forever, O Lord, your word
is firmly fixed in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
91 By your appointment they stand this day,
for all things are your servants.
92 If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.
93 I will never forget your precepts,
for by them you have given me life.
94 I am yours; save me,
for I have sought your precepts.
95 The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
but I consider your testimonies.

The heavens and the earth bear witness.

In times of struggle and travail, worry and doubt, the firmament is fixed. The moon shines. The earth courses around its light. The Stars abide.

They bear their witness.

Witness to what, you ask?  Witness to a North Star. Witness to a light that gives light. Witness to a God who is faithful.

As the old Celtic mystic so imaginative put it, "Goodly are the stars to behold; for they are the unstrung and scattered rosary of Holy God."

And what if a bead be lost?  What if all be lost?  What if the heavens and the earth should pass away?

God's Word shall not pass away. God's promises shall not pass away. Our faith shall not pass away. Our hope shall not pass away. Our love shall not pass away. These things abide.  Even longer than the stars, they abide.

This is the promise. When things fall apart, when what was new has grown old and then falls apart and then the dust turns to dust, when the heavens be rolled up like scroll and all which were are no longer . . .

God is. Alpha and Omega. God always is.

No comments:

Post a Comment