Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6, 2013

Today is Epiphany in the Church calendar.  Our Lesson is from Isaiah 49:

“It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
to raise up the tribes of Jacob
and to bring back the preserved of Israel;
I will make you as a light for the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”

The LORD is speaking to His Anointed. Though God's people are in exile, He has been chosen to bring them back into saving relationship with God. No, that is too small. God has chosen Him to bring the whole world back into saving relationship.

When God looks at our world He doesn't see the same borders and boundaries we do. God's vision is bigger than my own personal salvation, or my family's, or even my nation's.  Maybe that's why the world is round - so no one person or group can be said to be its center.


It's a good lesson for Epiphany - the day in the life of the Church when we remember that God's light came to draw all people.

No comments:

Post a Comment