Thursday, October 7, 2021

Daily Lesson for October 7, 2021

 Today is the 90th birthday of Bishop Demond Tutu, someone who has been a great source of joy and courage for me from afar for many decades. In celebration of the day, I share with you the birthday wishes I sent to the Bishop via the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation on this wonderful day:


“Happy Birthday Bishop!

I am a Baptist minister in Texas (no longer a Southern Baptist) and my wife Irie and I gave our first child Daniel the middle name Desmond in your honor. He is now 11-years old. 

We salute you. We celebrate with you. And we continue to believe in the Rainbow People of God all over this earth because of you. 

O happy day when you were born!

May your Spirit, and the Spirit of our Lord continue to be born again and again for ages to come . . .

Rev. Ryon Price, Fort Worth, Texas”

Before he retired, Bishop Tutu talked often about the traditional South African concept of “Ubuntu”, which he defined as “My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.”


On this 90th birthday of this great human being, may we remember that all our lives and all our future are bound up together in a common Ubuntu humanity.

Let us dare to live into it all together. 


Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of the historic Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas.  


No comments:

Post a Comment