Thursday, August 19, 2021

Daily Lesson for August 19, 2021

 Today's Daily Lesson comes from 2 Samuel chapter 19 verses 18 through 22:


Shimei son of Gera fell down before the king, as he was about to cross the Jordan, 19and said to the king, ‘May my lord not hold me guilty or remember how your servant did wrong on the day my lord the king left Jerusalem; may the king not bear it in mind. 20For your servant knows that I have sinned; therefore, see, I have come this day, the first of all the house of Joseph to come down to meet my lord the king.’ 21Abishai son of Zeruiah answered, ‘Shall not Shimei be put to death for this, because he cursed the Lord’s anointed?’ 22But David said, ‘What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah, that you should today become an adversary to me? Shall anyone be put to death in Israel this day? For do I not know that I am this day king over Israel?’

There is a very powerful story about Mandela inviting his former prison guard on Robbin Island to attend his inauguration as President of South Africa.

I hope heaven is like that story, and like the one we have in today's Lesson, where King David, returned to the throne, lets bygones be bygones with his political enemies.

I do hope heaven is like that, because I believe Jesus is like that.

Earth could also be more like that also, if we were more like it as well.

Forgive, friends. For there is no good future without it.

Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment