Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Daily Lesson for December 23, 2015

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Luke chapter 1 verses 39 through 42:

39 In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah, 40 and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, 42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"

In theological terms, Mary is known as the "theotokos" -- the God bearer.  This is a specific and unique designation which applies to her only.  She is the only one who gave fleshly birth to our Lord.

Yet, we are all in another sense pregnant -- filled like Elizabeth with the Holy Spirit and ready to give birth.

Birth to what?  Birth to blessing. "Blessed are you . . . Blessed is the fruit of your womb."  If we did nothing else but walk around blessing people and blessing their children -- calling them good, drawing that goodness out of them, midwifing it so to speak, then we would be saints of the order of Shiprah and Puah (I know, you'll have to Google it).

"Why is it granted to me for the mother of my Lord to come to me?" Elizabeth asks. Why? Why does Mary come? To be blessed. To find acceptance and encouragement. To hear the mystical word first spoken to us in the Garden, and to believe that it is true. "Eulogemene" -- "Blessed." "You are good."

May I receive the blessing of blessing others today in all I think and say..


"He blessed my eyes to see the goodness of God deep within every man.  He blessed my ears to hear the cries -- especially of the poor.  He blessed my mouth to speak no word but God gospel truth."

--- Godric

@FredBuechner #Godric #Blessed2B

No comments:

Post a Comment