Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Daily Lesson for February 25, 2015


Today's daily lesson comes from Deuteronomy chapter 9 verses

13 "Furthermore, the Lord said to me, 'I have seen this people, and behold, it is a stubborn people. 14 Let me alone, that I may destroy them and blot out their name from under heaven. And I will make of you a nation mightier and greater than they.'"

What an offer!  On the long road trip through the wilderness and after a colossally mistaken attempt by Aaron to quell the people's anxieties by making a Golden Calf, God pulls Moses aside and whispers in his ear. "Hey, what do you say you and me ditch these guys, head off and start our own company."

A great idea -- leave the people and all their wining and complaining, just get in the car and ride off and not have to hear ever again their complaints about where we are, where we aren't, why not, and how a contemporary worship service or a more reverent and dignified hour of stillness (depending upon the faction) is what God would like.

"Did you say the car is already running?  All I gotta do is get in?"

It's so tempting. I would love to do it; and they could all eat our dust as we burn rubber on the way out. Maybe I would add something colorful in Hebrew as we drove away.  

It would feel so good.

But it would not be good. It would not be good because God called us out of Egypt as a people, and the Promised Land just won't be the Promised Land if it's only reached by one person.

"Sorry God, I just have to say no. While it's tempting to get into the car, I just can't do it. And besides, I'm really not sure you'd be with me anyways."

No comments:

Post a Comment