Thursday, February 12, 2015

Daily Lesson for February 12, 2015


Today's daily lesson comes from 2 Timothy chapter 2 verses 14 and 23 through 25:

14 Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers . . . 23 Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. 24 And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 25 correcting his opponents with gentleness.

Archaeologists just found an ancient Biblical manuscript which includes a never-before command from Jesus:

"Thou shalt not think thou honor me by dying on every two- inch cross that comes along."

Doctrinal debates.  Theological quibbles. Arguments over constitutions and covenants of community.  Words, words, words. Manufactured controversies on Facebook, and manufactured controversies in the church. Words, words, words -- mostly spoken in anger, resentment, and without an ounce of loving kindness.

We can win an argument on principle and lose a thousand souls to Christ in the process. And we call that standing up for God?

Today I will refuse to get involved in 9 out of the 10 conflict I encounter. I will be criticized for irresponsibility; but I know I'm actually saving my own soul.

And the one conflict I enter into will be about something that really matters; and that one I will enter into with kindness and charity toward all.

And I'll do this because it's what a follower of Christ should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment