Friday, January 15, 2021

I don't want the week to close without acknowledging the passing of Nancy Thurmond, the great matriarch of Broadway Baptist Church and model of courage and commitment to men and women alike across the state and elsewhere. She was the embodiment of grace and grit and never afraid to let it be known how she saw it.

Sometime ago, Nancy gave me a book titled "Texas Women Speak". When this Texas woman spoke, this Texas man listened. I and all the other pastors who proceeded me.
I was so honored when in her last days she wrote a book about her years at Broadway, titling the final chapter about Broadway under my leadership "Justice for All".
A woman with indomitable spirit and strength, she shall be missed by all, and by me deeply.
But I trust and hope that she's still gonna be casting her vote from the balcony . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment