Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Daily Lesson for May 27, 2020

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Psalm 119 verses 105 through 114:

105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.
106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
    to observe your righteous ordinances.
107 I am severely afflicted;
    give me life, O Lord, according to your word.
108 Accept my offerings of praise, O Lord,
    and teach me your ordinances.
109 I hold my life in my hand continually,
    but I do not forget your law.
110 The wicked have laid a snare for me,
    but I do not stray from your precepts.
111 Your decrees are my heritage forever;
    they are the joy of my heart.
112 I incline my heart to perform your statutes
    forever, to the end.
113 I hate the double-minded,
    but I love your law.
114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
    I hope in your word.

St. Augustine said the Word of God is a lamp unto our feet guiding our next step, and light on the path assuring us of the way we are walking.  In between there is darkness.

Much is darkness now and we can't see the path.  It is night in the world now and too dark for our eyes to apprehend the way.

But the lamp at our feet shows us the next step -- what they call in Alcoholics Anonymous "the next right thing"; and the light down in the distance assures us that the path does not run out.  And in between there is faith.

Keep walking, friends.  Keep trusting.  We don't have to see the whole way.  Have faith we are headed somewhere.  Look down in the distance.  Believe the Word.  It ends in a great Light.

As for now, there is a small light -- small, yet enough. It is enough to guide every right step we have to take.

NOTE: We are reading the whole Bible through this year.  Tomorrow's Lesson comes from 1 Kings chapters 3-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment