Friday, May 15, 2020

Daily Lesson for May 15, 2020

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Psalm 62 verses 1 through 3:

1 Hear my cry, O God;
    listen to my prayer.
2 From the end of the earth I call to you,
    when my heart is faint.
Lead me to the rock
    that is higher than I;
3 for you are my refuge,
    a strong tower against the enemy.

If you travel to Israel and venture out into the Valley of the Dead Sea you are taken by the huge rock fortresses that protrude out of the earth and rise high above the below-sea-level floor. These have been the high towers of refuge for  soldiers, and criminals,  and mystics alike for generations.

"Lead me to the rock that is higher than I," is a wonderful prayer.  It is a humble prayer.  

For when we do not know our way forward, and it is too dangerous to remain where we are, we climb into the high tower of God's strength and vision. We go to God in prayer, which lifts us up on eagle's wings, and guides our footsteps to the rock that is higher than we ourselves could ever climb.

And within that rock is buried water for the weary -- rain hidden for two millennia, waiting for us there to strike the rock and drink from its inner treasure.

The way forward is hard, friends.  It is uncertain.  It is dangerous.  And there are plenty of enemies all around -- some confused, some insane, and some downright evil. 

But there is a high fortress up ahead, a rock in which we can hide.  So don't grow weary.  Keep walking. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Trust in God to lead us to the rock.  Trust in God to not let our footsteps falter.

No comments:

Post a Comment