Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Daily Lesson for May 8, 2017

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from 1 Timothy chapter 2 verses 1 through 5a:

“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings should be made for everyone, 2for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. 3This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, 4who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5For
there is one God . . .”

Last week on the National Day of Prayer I spent a long time praying for our city, state, and national leaders. Some were easier to pray for than others. I wrote my prayers and mailed them to the various elected leaders. It was a good thing to do because doing so disciplined my words. It made me pray respectfully and with genuine hope of well being. It allowed me to pray with both grace and truth. 

The grace is this: that God loves and desires the best every politician and person in high office regardless of what I think about them or their policies. The truth is this: that there remains a day of accountability when the one who sits upon the throne of heaven will judge the private lives and public policies of all nations and leaders.


My prayers gave thanks for some, made intercession for others, and begged serious supplication from a few.  I don’t know if those prayers will be answered. But what I do know is that it was good for them to be prayed; and it was good for me to pray them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment