Thursday, May 24, 2018

Daily Lesson for May 24, 2018

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from Matthew chapter 11 verses 28 through 30:

28 ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

God’s yoke is easy and God’s burden is light.

Without God the demands are crippling and impossible. The load is too heavy, the road too long, and the yoke too harsh. 

But God says, “Come and take my yoke upon you.  My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

The yoke of God is not harsh and cutting.  It’s smooth and well fit and expertly planed by the careful craftsmanship of a carpenter and the son of a carpenter.  While an ill-fit yoke will cuts and digs into the hide and makes its wearing impossible, a smooth yoke is easy on the the body. It was made with care and concern for its beast of burden. 

And the load of God is not too heavy. More than one pulls so the weight is split. The force is lessened. The burden bearable. The load is shared. God pulls with us. God pulls for us. 


Is life too much for you?  The distance too far?  The pain of the load you’re trying to carry too great? Well then maybe you’ve saddled yourself with the wrong yoke. Maybe that single yoke isn’t for you. How about trying this double yoke — it looks like it might be a good fit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment