Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Daily Lesson for October 24, 2017

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from Matthew chapter 11 verses 28 through 30:

28 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Saint Augustine said, “Our hearts are restless until we find rest in God.”

Jesus came to help us find our souls’ deep place of rest. He came to help us lift up our hearts. He came to help us bear the burdens of life.

“Take my yoke upon you,” he said. “For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

His yoke is well-fitted for us. A master carpenter has shaped it. It’s arch is snug and it’s plane is smooth. It’s easy on us. 

And ours is only one side of the yoke. There is another side. It’s God’s side. God helps us to pull the load, to bear the weight. We cannot bear it alone; but God pulls with us. God pulls for us. 

“Come unto me . . . My yoke is easy my burden is light.”  It all looks so harsh, so difficult, so impossible. It looks like it’s too much for us to bear. But Jesus says, “Come.”  “Come and see.”  “Come and find out.”  “Come and trust me.”

We cannot bear the load alone. It’s too much for us; it’s beyond our strength. Then we hear the invitation. “Come.” And we realize only a power greater than ourselves can get us unstuck, can take us any further. 


And we say, “I come.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment