Friday, October 20, 2017

Daily Lesson for October 20, 2017

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from 1 Corinthians chapter 15 verses 8 through 10:

8Last of all, as to someone untimely born, he appeared also to me. 9For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace towards me has not been in vain.

Last month we ordained new deacons into the service and ministry of Broadway.  It was a very touching service, as the whole congregation was invited to come forward and lay hands upon the ordinands. 

I thought of my own ordination, and how twelve years later they might still be drying up my tears from the altar carpet at Lowe’s Grove Baptist in Durham. I thought of how long my hair was back then and how it looked like an old wet mop after I stooped there crying for a straight 30 minutes as the saints of that little church streamed by. I remembered the first voice I heard coming to lay hands over me, “Ryon, this Hardy.”  I thought also of what he said after the service, as Hardy Clemons remembered his own ordination, “In that moment something ontological happens.”  

My tears were the tears of the woman with the alabaster jar — the deep, ontological tears of one who knows she has been redeemed. The tears of one who knows he or has has been forgiven much. The tears of one unworthy, yet saved and even called by grace. 

I have no right to be here ordaining others. I was such a mess. I was so full of pride, arrogance, chauvinism, and supremacy. I was lost and hurting and I hurt others. In John Newton’s words, I was a “wretch”.  Yet, God’s grace did save me, spare me, ordain me.

I am so grateful for this life.  I am so thankful for God’s mercies. I do not think they have been in vain. 

Dr. King used to say something that really resonates:

 “We ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we were.”


Thank God, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment