Friday, March 31, 2017

Daily Lesson for March 31, 2017

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Romans chapter 8 verses 31-35 and 38-39.

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? . . .38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I had a dream. I was waiting in the holding cell outside the courtroom. I was sweating and queasy in my stomach and my saliva was thick with the taste of metal on my tongue. I was not handcuffed; but I knew I should be. Waiting there I thought I soon would be. Though I had not yet been in or even seen the court, I somehow knew instinctively what the process was to be. The file would be opened for public view and the prosecutor would call me to the dock and have me to read the damning evidence of my life. I shook now for fear of what was to come upon me. They called my name and the front part of my quadriceps were so jelly-like that I could hardly stand. Motion through the hall took the queasiness away for the 20 or so steps but when I passed into the courtroom and glanced up at the gallery a sense of sheer terror now gripped me. I felt the blood empty from my face. This was the moment of terror.

The judge was seated and nodded to the prosecution and my attorney -- someone I had never seen or met but intuitively trusted. They approached the bench and then began to read the file. I was still standing alone.  Without saying a word then the judge nodded and the prosecutor and my attorney took their positions on opposite sides, my attorney to my left.

With the file opened thick before him, the judge spoke loud enough for the courtroom to hear. "The man before us is not innocent. He has offered the plea of guilty.  The court has accepted the plea.  The defense asks for mercy. It pleases the court to accept this request and the prosecution agrees. Is there anyone who wishes to object to the court's decision?"

For three long seconds the courtroom was silent and still.

"Hearing none then," the judge said, "there is then no condemnation for this man."

He then looked at me and spoke directly to me for the first time.  "You have been saved by grace.  You are free now to join the gallery of witnesses."

No comments:

Post a Comment