Monday, March 13, 2017

Daily Lesson for March 13 2017

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Psalm 56 verses 8:

8 You have kept count of my tossings;
put my tears in your bottle.
Are they not in your book?

We just set our clocks forward and my mind, strangely, went to the Deists and their clockmaker God.

The Deists believed in God as a Supreme Creator, but left that God in the creative act -- or, more correctly, thought that God left us and our universe to our own devices after creation. Like a clockmaker, God set the hands of time and then stepped back to let the gadgets and gears run in their own way without intervention. This was a God separate and distant from his creation.

The psalmist today provides such a very different and far more personal picture of God. Here is a God who is counting sleepless nights, a God treasuring tears, a God diarying about us.  This is a personal God -- a God who cares.

My life is not like clockwork. The gears aren't smooth and I'm mostly out of sync. I'm always, always at least a few minutes late and sometimes I feel a few decades so.  Because of that I need more than a Creator.  I need a friend.

God is my friend. God is my dear, dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment