Monday, March 7, 2016

Daily Lesson for March 7, 2016

Today's Daily Lesson comes from 1 Corinthians chapter 10 verse 23:

“All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.

There is tremendous freedom in Christ. The law, with its rules and regulations, has been set aside for that which is greater. We are not under law but under grace (Romans 6:14)!

But that doesn't mean we have license simply to do whatever we feel like without accountability. We do still have an accountability to ourselves and to our community.  And the thing that's counted on is that I will act in ways that are spiritually upbuilding and constructive to the whole.

I hear a lot about, "My rights," -- whether that be the right to say what I think, openly bear the arms I want to bear, or publicly picket against all manner of things I want to protest against. Fair enough.  But before I exercise any right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, I also need to run it by the law of love and the ethic of edification.  And that is always a higher hurdle. For as Paul said, "All things are lawful; but not everything builds up."

No comments:

Post a Comment