Thursday, March 10, 2016

Daily Lesson for March 10, 2016

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Exodus chapter 1 verses 15 through 20:

15 Then the king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, one of whom was named Shiphrah and the other Puah, 16 “When you serve as midwife to the Hebrew women and see them on the birthstool, if it is a son, you shall kill him, but if it is a daughter, she shall live.” 17 But the midwives feared God and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but let the male children live. 18 So the king of Egypt called the midwives and said to them, “Why have you done this, and let the male children live?” 19 The midwives said to Pharaoh, “Because the Hebrew women are not like the Egyptian women, for they are vigorous and give birth before the midwife comes to them.” 20 So God dealt well with the midwives. And the people multiplied and grew very strong.

Maya Angelou used to tell the story of the black made in Montgomery who was confronted by her mean old boss lady who asked her if she intended to participate in the bus boycotts.  "Oh no way, no ma'am," she said.  "All that that boycott will get is trouble, and you know I don't want no trouble. I am gonna' stay clear of it all. In fact, I ain't even gonna go near those bus boycotts. I'm just gonna walk myself to work."

Protest and resistance come in all manner of shades -- some more obvious than others. Everyone does what they can, where they can; and it all works together to make a difference.

And Moses is born.

A poem for today:

"You say the little efforts I make
Will do no good
They never will prevail
To tip the hovering scale
Justice hangs in balance
I never said I thought they would
But I am prejudiced beyond debate
Which side shall feel the stubborn ounces
Of my weight.

Author unnamed, 19th century former slave

1 comment:

  1. Right now I am reading about the Protestant and Catholic village network that saved 3,000 plus Jewish children in France during WWII. Here's a quote from one of the village pastors, Andre Trocme, who was honored at Yad Vashem as one of the Righteous Gentiles:
    "Look hard for ways to make little moves against destructiveness."

    ReplyDelete