Monday, August 31, 2015

Daily Lesson for August 31, 2015

Today's daily lesson comes from Psalm 25 verses 6 and 7:

6 Remember your mercy, O Lord, and your steadfast love,
for they have been from of old.
7 Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
according to your steadfast love remember me,
for the sake of your goodness, O Lord!

And James 2 verse 13:

"For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

I have always liked the story of what the archbishop said while sitting for his official portrait.  The artist, trying to make him comfortable, told the archbishop, "Do not worry; I shall treat you justly."  "Oh please do not treat me justly," the archbishop said, "at my age I would much prefer mercy over justice."

In the end, we shall all desire to be treated mercifully rather than justly.  And our plea is the same as that of the psalmist's, that God would remember us not as we have been or are or will be, but rather as He is -- that God would remember us, not according to our deeds, but rather according to His steadfast love and mercy.

St. James wrote, "Mercy triumphs over judgement."

Thank the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment