Friday, July 24, 2015

British Evasion #1, July 24, 2015

British Evasion Day 1:
People keep asking how they can be praying for me while I am on sabbatical. I keep telling them to pray that I eat -- a lot. 
Fish and chips of course.
But I'm thinking of something even more substantive -- no, not Newcastle. 
In last Sunday's Gospel Jesus told the disciples to, "Come away, and rest awhile." Not a bad scripture for your last day of work before taking some time away.
The story says Jesus took the disciples away because they had no leave of the demands of their ministry, and not even any time to eat. 
That was probably literal -- meaning they literally had not time even to grab the loaves and fish. That's why they had to borrow from the boy. But maybe it was metaphorical also -- meaning they had no time to eat or drink of the things of God; in other words, after all the hard days, they're souls were famished and their spirits starved.
So, if you would like to pray for me while on my British Evasion, maybe that's what you can pray. That my soul will eat and drink deeply of all the places, people and experiences God would have me to feast upon while gone; and that I will come back well nourished and fully satiated by whatever the spiritual equivalent of a good and hardy English pub meal might be. 
Btw -- made it to London!

No comments:

Post a Comment