Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Daily Lesson for November 12, 2014


Today's daily lesson comes from Luke chapter 15:

Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes agrumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and ceats with them.” 3 So he told them this parable . . . 8 “[W]hat woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ 10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

On Monday I lost a $100 bill. It just vanished into thin air somewhere between my office at church and the store where I was going to spend some of it.

I looked everywhere. I checked the floor board beneath the seat of the car. I walked the parking lot. I thumbed through books I was reading. I asked the janitor and the financial secretary. They hadn't seen a thing. 

The whole time I had this sick, sick feeling in my stomach. 

Then I found it, crumbled in the trashcan -- in the men's room.  You bet I looked there. And then I came out rejoicing and took it and threw it down on the financial secretary's office. I burst through the door and did a little jig. "Found it," I said.

Later on I wondered why I'm not that consumed about lost people and joyful when they're found.  Jesus sure was.

Prayer: LORD, give me a heart for those who are spiritually lost and when Jesus brings them to church may I raise my voice in celebration rather than my eyebrow in judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment