Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Daily Lesson for September 9, 2014


Today's daily lesson comes from John chapter 10 verse 34:

Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’?

One day, Jesus was put on trial by the religious establishment in Jerusalem over the fact that he called himself son of God. This was blasphemy to these folks. 

"We have one God," they said, "and one God only. And this Jesus, by saying he is son of God, profanes and dishonors  God's name."

 For that they then demanded that Jesus be stoned.

But Jesus' defense was precedence found in Scripture. "Wait just a minute," he said, "I'm not saying anything different from what the Bible says. Yes, I called myself son of God; but that doesn't mean blasphemy. The psalms actually go even farther than what I've said. The psalms say, ‘You are gods.’ I am no more guilty of blasphemy than the psalms are."

All that to say, we hear some pretty out there sounding stuff, but before we jump on the "ginst it" bandwagon, we really ought to be sure the Bible isn't actually for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment