Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Daily Lesson for July 30, 2014


Today's lesson comes from Matthew 27 verse 45:

"Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour."

Some years ago a friend from church named Scott passed away after a lengthy and exhausting battle with cancer.  In the final months of Scott's life, as the suffering grew most agonizing for both Scott and for his family, I thought of this passage from the final act of Jesus' own suffering where it is said that the darkest hours were those just prior and during his death.  After Scott's death I shared with the family this story hoping they might find solace in the fact that the darkest hours had passed along with Scott.

I was wrong.

What I discovered was that there were many darker days and even years to come. The family, for so many years so focused on trying to keep Scott alive, had not even begun to consider what his death might be like.  With Scott's passing light did not once again begin to unfold; and my suggestion that it was a false expectation based on a very limited understanding of the process of grief. In short, I had no idea just how dark the night can get, before there is mourning.

For those who have watched a loved one suffer and die, I no longer make the promise that their own darkest hours have passed.  But I do encourage them to think on the sure and certain hope that their loved ones darkest hours have now passed and, for them, light has come.  And in that I pray they find comfort for whatever darkness they may have before them.

No comments:

Post a Comment