Friday, March 9, 2018

Daily Lesson for March 9, 2018

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from 1 Corinthians chapter 13 verses 1 through 3:

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

There is much anger now in our country. There is bitterness and frustration and a deep sense of alienation for many who feel like the country they have known and hoped in is slipping away. There is indeed anger, much of which is understandable and often justifiable.

But while anger can lead us to demand change for good, it can also lead us to demand change in the wrong way. It can lead to hatred and enmity and the kind of demonization which refuses to see the other side as human.  This is the kind of anger many in various forms of social media love to stoke and foment.  And it is why the Apostle Paul cautioned, “Be angry; but do not sin in your anger.” It is also why in today’s Lesson he reminds us that if we have not love everything else is for naught.

Love is sine qua non. We can do many things in the name of God, and country, and liberty, and justice for all, but if we have not love we fall into grave and even mortal danger. Love is absolutely necessary lest in fighting the beast we become a beast.

Love is not separate from justice. Love and justice belong together. As someone has said, Justice is Love in action. And love for oneself and for one’s neighbor as oneself is the heartbeat of justice. Love without justice is selfish and disordered; Justice without love is totalitarian and without mercy.

Dr. King said, “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

Hate can do many things. It can move voters, and armies, and even mountains. But it cannot make us good; only love can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment