Thursday, January 5, 2017

Daily Lesson for January 5, 2016

Today's Daily Lesson comes from John chapter 15 verses 1 through 6:

 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

Last week while visiting the small, high-desert town of Marfa, Texas I was literally stopped in my tracks by the beauty of one of the downtown homes and it's landscaping. I came to a standstill on my down the main street and made an excursion to see this work of beauty more closely.

Marfa is the capital of the minimalist movement in the Southwest so the home and its landscaping were simple and spare but also very elegant and perfectly placed. A perfectly-shaped mesquite stood sentry before a cute red door adorning the 1930s stucco home. A natural stone path led from the front porch to a tall well-kempt fence hid what I knew to be a beautiful garden behind the house. And out in front of the home, just next to the west front window there was a large, very tall rose bush, pruned neatly for the winter.

"So," I thought to myself, "that must be what's wrong with my roses -- they need pruning."

Those who know landscaping and gardening know things sometimes -- perhaps frequently -- need pruning. It is a part of the the hard work of making things grow and, ultimately, making things more beautiful.

The New Year is a good time to reflect on what in our lives needs pruning. What needs to be cut back, trimmed, or altogether lopped off?  What needs to be paired back because it inhibits growth, fullness, and beauty in our lives?  To put things a bit less delicately, what needs a good bushwhacking?

I was stopped in my by what I saw that was growing out front of that beautiful home. But whoever the owners are know that I was also stopped by what was not growing as well.

Think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment