Monday, January 31, 2022

Daily Lesson for January 30, 2022

 Today’s Daily Lesson comes from Hebrews chapter 11 verse 8:


“By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going.”


Abraham did not know where he was going. 


That is something I think a lot of us can sympathize and perhaps commiserate with. We don’t necessarily know where we are going. We aren’t sure where this journey is taking us. We can’t figure out how this thing will end. 


But, by faith we keep walking. We keep choosing the best path we can decipher. And we do not give up. 


Thomas Merton had a wonderful prayer which begins like this:


“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.”


We hope to please God. We seek to follow God. No, we really don’t know where we’re going. 


And we probably wouldn’t believe it if we did . . .


Ryon Price is Senior Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment