Monday, November 9, 2020

Daily Lesson for November 9, 2020

 Today’s Daily Lesson comes from John chapter 13 verses 31 through 35.


31 When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. 32 If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. 33 Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come.’ 34 I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”


“With malice toward none; with charity for all . . .” 


These are some of the immortal words from President Lincoln’s Second Inaugural, words which echo down to us as his last will and testament. For John Wilkes Booth was in the crowd that day, seething; and just a little over a month later Lincoln would be assassinated.


These words from Jesus in today’s Lesson were among his last words also. In fact, they were from the last night of his life. 


“Where I am going you cannot come . . .


“I give you a new commandment . . .


“Love one another.”


Now is the time for love. It is the time for healing. It is the time for peace. 


It is a time for malice toward none; and charity for all. 


We have to press on. Our work is not ended. We cannot go there to our place of rest now. But we must continue to fight the good fight for goodness sake. And, we must fight it with the weapons of goodness.


Every Sunday I conclude my portion of the service with these benedictory words:


“Depart now, kindred, with the Spirit of God in Christ in you. For the world needs you light, and your hope, and your deep, deep courage. So go; be brave; be strong; be kind; and be love.  Always be love.”


Let us love now friend and foe alike so deeply that we become like God who is love, always and forever, and for everyone.


Amen. 


NOTE: We are reading the Bible through this year. Tomorrow’s Lessons comes from Luke 23 and John 18-19.

No comments:

Post a Comment