Thursday, September 3, 2020

Daily Lesson for September 3, 2020

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Ezekiel chapter 32 verses 1 through 3:

In the twelfth year, in the twelfth month, on the first day of the month, the word of the Lord came to me: 2 Mortal, raise a lamentation over Pharaoh king of Egypt, and say to him:
You consider yourself a lion among the nations,
    but you are like a dragon in the seas;
you thrash about in your streams,
    trouble the water with your feet,
    and foul your streams.
3
Thus says the Lord God:
    In an assembly of many peoples
    I will throw my net over you;
    and I will haul you up in my dragnet.

Several times in his book the prophet refers to Pharaoh as a "dragon".  What is more likely meant is the African crocodile, ugly and mean, but also cunning and as sharp of mind as tooth.   I have a friend who hunts alligators -- a North American cousin -- and says they are shrewd and patient, but that my friend is more so.  Hunting alligators is a waiting game, he says.

God is waiting. God is patient.  The dragon thrashes about, muddying and mucking the streams and destroying his own habitation.  But in the end he will be caught.  The dragnet of God's justice always wins out.

NOTE: We are reading the whole Bible through this year.  We continue with Ezekiel tomorrow, chapters 34-36.

No comments:

Post a Comment