Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Passing of a Giant



Today we lost a giant in Baptist life, and I lost a dear friend, mentor, colleague, pastor, Bishop, father and grand-father figure.

Hardy Clemons was ordained at Broadway Baptist, and pastored three churches over the course of his forty years of ministry, including 21 years as the Senior Pastor of my home church Second Baptist in Lubbock, which I later had the honor of serving as Senior Pastor also. Hardy married my parents, married Irie and me, and preached my ordination. And as I entered this calling, I joined the ranks of that company of clergy and ministers across the country who all enjoyed the blessing of having Hardy as a “Pastor’s Pastor”.

What a gift of love and wisdom Hardy was to me and so many others whose lives were blessed to know him as both Pastor and friend. Dearly loved, he will be dearly missed.

The last time I visited Hardy in person coincided with my discovery of an old Phillips Brooks’ quote about pastoring, the wisdom of which I think captures the Spirit of who Hardy’s life and ministry and is something we who follow in his cloud would do well to follow:

“These three rules seem to have in them the practical sum of the whole matter. I beg you to remember them and apply them with all the wisdom that God gives you. First, have as few congregations as you can. Second, know your congregation as thoroughly as you can. Thirdly, know your congregation so largely and deeply that in knowing it you shall know humanity.”

Rest In Peace, Pastor; thank you for knowing us so largely and deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment