Thursday, June 13, 2019

Daily Lesson for June 13, 2019

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from 2 Corinthians chapter 12 verses 6 through 

Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given to me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. 8Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me,9but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

In the mystery of God it is our struggles and even our failures which have the most to teach us about God’s grace and mercy. It is in those times when we face our greatest hardships that God’s presence and power is most known. 

We sing it about Jesus from the youngest age as children, “they are weak, but He is strong.” Yet the song only truly begins to make sense as we move along into adulthood and realize just how weak we sometimes are. Our weakness drives us to prayer; it recalls the refrain. 

If we felt capable in and of our own selves then we would be arrogant and self-dependent and we would cease relying on the power of God. We would fail. So our weaknesses keep us humble, keep us dependent, keep us asking for our daily bread. 

I’ve always loved the story of Fr. Jean Vianney who in one of his early pastorates was presented with a letter from his congregation soon to be sent to the Bishop charging Vianney with gross incompetence and ineffectiveness. Vianney read the letter and the signatures of all the French village townspeople and then, surprisingly, added his own name as well. 

Jean Vianney later became pastron saint of pastors. 

In our weakness Jesus is strong. In our failures God’s mercy reigns. In our incompetence the Spirit shows up with supernatural power. 

Thanks be to God for this. 


Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment