Friday, March 15, 2019

Daily Lesson for March 15, 2019

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from John chapter 3 verses 25 through 30:

25 Now a discussion about purification arose between John’s disciples and a Jew. 26They came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you testified, here he is baptizing, and all are going to him.” 27John answered, “No one can receive anything except what has been given from heaven. 28You yourselves are my witnesses that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah, but I have been sent ahead of him.’ 29He who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. For this reason my joy has been fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.”

What a remarkable human being, this John the Baptist. Whereas so many religious leaders were tempted towards jealousy of Jesus and his ministry, John celebrated its growth as a gift from God.

Imagine how comfortable in our own skin and our own call we would have to be in order to be like John. Imagine how much maturity it would take to see another’s gifts and calling and say, “He (or she) must increase, but I must decrease.”

The Oscars were not too long ago, and I heard the term “Best Supporting Actor”.  When we aren’t the star of the show, we should still strive to be the very best supporting actors we can possibly be. For the drama now being played out in the world is epic and it is dependent upon the full cast playing each of their own parts and playing them well.

There is an old chasidic story about Rabbi Zusya, who understood with humility the import of his own place and time and ministry in the great drama of Judaism. One day he said, “When I get to the heavenly court, God will not ask me, ‘Why weren’t you Moses?’ Rather he will ask me, ‘Why were you not Zusya?”

Heaven did not ask John why he wasn’t Jesus. Heaven will not ask that of us either. Heaven will ask me if I was Ryon. I hope to be. For greater or less, come what may; let me be Ryon. 


Amen. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment