Monday, November 20, 2017

Daily Lesson for November 20, 2017

Today’s Daily Lesson comes from Revelation chapter 20 verses 11 and 12:

11 Then I saw a great white throne and the one who sat on it; the earth and the heaven fled from his presence, and no place was found for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Also another book was opened, the book of life.

We are coming now to the end of the Church’s liturgical year. On Sunday following Thanksgiving, we will celebrate Christ the King Sunday. This is the Sunday when we think on the end of history, last things, and the final judgment.  The readings on Sundays and throughout the weekdays have been preparing us for this day for sometime now. This is all a part of our great reminder of God’s rule and Christ’s ultimate victory over all the powers of darkness and sin. 

Today’s Lesson says, “The dead, great and small,” will stand before the throne with their lives set before them in a book — with our lives set before us in the same book. 

This shall be a moment of fear and of trembling for all. It shall be a day of accountability.  We shall have to come clean. 

On that day, nothing within our own power shall be able to save. The mighty and powerful shall be as humbled as the poor day laborer. The wealthy shall have no pockets for their riches. We shall all come empty handed, with only our deeds before the throne of history. 

On that great and terrible day, I plan to beg the court for mercy. I hope to demonstrate penance. I trust in the promise that the Judge desires to offer grace.


As someone who was once a chief of sinners, the last day fills me with trepidation. It also keeps me humble and helps me to remember that the measure I give shall be the measure that I get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment