Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Daily Lesson for June 27, 2017

Today's Daily Lesson comes from Psalm 100 verse 4:

For the Lord is good;
his mercy is everlasting; 
and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

Yesterday I went to a party at an assisted living community for one of the great ladies of our church, Helen Moss -- or "Saint Helen" as I like to call her. We gathered with the other residents and had ice cream and cake and sang songs from days gone by and hymns eternal. We sang songs Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire danced to along with the Yellow Rose of Texas. The hymns included "The Little Brown Church" and "Swing Lo Sweet Chariot".  Our song leader refused to say goodbye to the residents but insisted we end with Roy Rogers's and Dale Evans "Happy Trails" instead. Helen and I then went back to her room and visited awhile. She was turning 90 years old. 

And today I will go to hear one of the great ladies in my life my great aunt Opal speak about her experience as a part of the Navy WAVES, Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service, the first group of women to serve in the Armed Services during WWII.  She is 95, the matriarch, graceful as a bird and stronger than onions. She is the one I go and visit when I am worried or afraid or uncertain about anything. She is the rock from where the water  of wisdom can always be drawn. 

These women remind me that the LORD is good, that the LORD is true, and that amidst all the struggle and change and conflict of this world the LORD is faithful.

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest, great is God's faithfulness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment