Thursday, May 25, 2017

Thanks and Gratitude

An unexpected trip to the emergency room yesterday ended in the removal of my appendix early this morning. We had a good 40-year run; but clearly the time had come for us to part. I am now home and recovering well.

Thank you friends and family for all the calls, texts, messages, and visits. You have each made me feel so special and loved. Thanks also to the excellent medical team at UMC Hospital. And thanks to my dad who stayed near and my mom who cared for and calmed our children. 

Finally, thanks to Irie who renews her vows every day as she loves me through richer and poorer, in sickness and in health. 

Over these last hours, I have had words from George Herbert's poem "Gratefulness" on my mind and in my heart. I share them now as my own prayer of gratitude and thanksgiving:

Thou that hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more, a grateful heart.
Not thankful, when it pleaseth me;
As if thy blessings had spare days:
But such a heart, whose pulse may be

Thy praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment