Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Daily Lesson for February 7, 2017

Today's Daily Lesson comes from 2 Timothy chapter 1 verses 3 through 7:

3 I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 4 As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy. 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-discipline.

I have been working on a class I am teaching called "Profiles in Courageous Christianity", where I'm looking at Christians who have acted with courage throughout the centuries. Profiles include Justin Martyr, Martin Luther Roger Williams, Anne Hutchinson, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and Martin Luther King, Jr.

One of the most interesting things I discovered in my studies had to do with Lutheran Pastor and Nazi resister Dietrich Bonhoeffer -- or, actually, his grandmother. On April 1, 1933, just after the Nazis had come to power in Germany, they carried out their first nationwide act against the Jews, boycotting Jewish businesses and directing Nazi Brownshirts to stand guard outside Jewish shops. It was then that Dietrich Bonhoeffer's grandmother decided it was time to go shopping.  Disregarding the boycott, and in defiance of the Nazi Brownshirt posted at the door, Bonhoeffer's grandmother stepped inside the Jewish shop near her and made her stubborn purchase.

Twelve years later Dietrich Bonhoeffer was of course executed by the Germans for his part in a conspiracy against Hitler. And my thesis in the class is that the courage to be not afraid but rather to stand up in dissent is something learned and passed down, something that grandmothers have the power to teach to their grandchildren.

So, with the knowledge of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's grandmother now with us, hear again this morning's Daily Lesson from Paul and see if he is not saying something about how Courageous Christianity is passed down generation to generation, from grandmother to mother to child.

"5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

To love as Christian people requires us to live not in fear but in love. For perfect love casts out all fear. Let us live then not in a spirit of fear, but a spirit of empowered love and disciplined courage.

Our children are and grandchildren are watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment