Thursday, September 10, 2015

Daily Lesson for September 10, 2015

Today's daily lesson comes from Philippians 2 verse 17:

"Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all."

I am reading The Diary of a Country Priest where the young pastor writes, "Somehow I can never quite believe that God will really employ me -- to the utmost: make complete use of me as He does of the others." Here is the young man struggling with his vocation and own sense of value in the world, and whether or not his life will make difference.

St. Paul, on the other hand, is an old pastor.  Likely writing from somewhere in his 60s, and having traveled many a mile and seen many a success and many a failure, he is not so consumed with his own purpose and use -- especially in comparison to others.  Paul has given it all up to God now, and he trusts God to know and to do what is best with him -- even if that means not being of any real practical use at all.  "Even if I am being poured out as a drink offering," he says - meaning that even if what his life comes to is a superfluous ritual element in somebody else's sacrifice - "I am glad."  He is glad because he knows his life is not about him; it is about God.  And his gladness comes from being used --not necessarily fully, or effectively or "successfully" -- but as the LORD sees fit.

The old hymn says:

"Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o’er my being absolute sway!"

When we can get to the point of praying such a prayer as this then we have entered another realm. We have discovered the deep gladness which allows us to rejoice in all circumstances -- whether we seem to be making much of a difference or not.  In other words, we have surrendered ourselves completely to God and what God deems fit.

I hope somebody will let me know when I get there . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment