Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Daily Lesson for July 16, 2015

Today's daily lesson comes from Psalm 78 verses 2 through 4:

I will utter dark sayings from of old,
3 things that we have heard and known,
that our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done.

This summer has been one of dark discovery for our daughter Gabrielle.  Last week as we drove through Arkansas for my great aunt's funeral, I gave her a long history of the South, the Civil War, the Civil Rights Movement, and a history of what I know about the Price family and their ownership of slaves in Pontotoc County, Mississippi.  This was the first time I had ever said anything to Gabby about that darker part of that side of our family's history and she struggled to comprehend how it could be -- how her own relatives could take part in such a vile institution and how it is that she could have the blood of both slave and slaveholder running through her.

Last night, we continued the history lesson by beginning the first episode in PBS's great civil rights documentary "Eyes on the Prize".  With forewarning we allowed Gabby to watch the segment on the murder of Emmett Till, including the part when they showed his mutilated face.  She was horrified at the injustice of his killers being found innocent by an all white jury.


Sad eyed, she looked at me and asked, "Could this happen again?" she asked.

"Only if we let it," I told her, "and this is why we must always stand up for justice and for equality -- just like those with courage did before us.

She shook her head in resolved determination.  With that, the next segment began and a picture of Rosa Parks flashed onto the screen. "We'll watch that part tomorrow," I said, "it's bed time now.  Sleep tight and remember that people with courage can change things."

Just before Gabby made her way to her room she asked if any white people tried to help black people. "Yes," I said, "many whites did and they are heroes to me." 
She shook her head again and then came another question. "Dad, do you think those people who killed Emmett Till went to heaven?"

"Well, remember what Jesus prayed from the cross when those men were killing him? 'Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.'  I don't think they knew what they were doing."

"I think they went to heaven to get a second chance," she said. "Everyone deserves a second chance."

"I don't know that we deserve a second chance;" I said looking down at her, "but God gives us one anyway."

There was quiet for a little while as her mind kept moving and then one more question. "What about that guy who we defeated, who was in both wars?"

"You mean Hitler?"

"Yeah, Hitler.  Do you think he'll get a second chance in heaven."

I looked down again at her.  "That is above my pay grade," I told her.

She shook her head.  "You mean we'll find out when we get to heaven."

"That's right," I said, "when we get to heaven we will find out many, many things."

And this summer also . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment