Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Daily Lesson for January 21, 2015


Today's daily lesson comes from Ephesians chapter 4 verse 4:

"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving."

I love dirty jokes. You probably weren't expecting to hear that from a pastor but it's absolutely the truth. I don't mean raunchy jokes, but something clever and just a tad but illicit will make me roll on the floor and howl.

That's probably why I've always hated today's lesson so much. It's from Paul's letter to the Ephesians and it seems so, well, Paul-like.  "No filthiness."  "No foolish talk."  "No crudeness."  No fun!  I mean, relax Paul; have a little fun. Remember we're saved by grace.

That's what I used to think -- alright still sort of think. But last night something happened that made this morning's lesson feel different. Last night a good friend from church came over. I love this guy and we have fun together -- a lot of fun together. We've got the same bawdy sense of humor and in times past when he's been over my living room has been anything but the holy of holies.

But last night was different. There weren't any risqué or off-color jokes.  Nothing at all that I would be embarrassed about if my mother heard a recording of it. Instead, what we talked about was the meaning of our friendship, other friends we see growing in Christ, and our gratefulness for our church.  At the end of the night we stood out on my front porch and hugged, patted each other on the back, and told each other, "I love you."

And maybe that's why what Paul said so much jumped off the page at me this morning. Because for the first time ever in reading this part of Ephesians, I noticed that Paul doesn't just say,  "No filthiness."  "No foolish talk."  "No crudeness."  He says something also.  He says, "Give thanks."

I've always read this scripture as a moral lesson. But it's not a moral lesson. It's a lesson on friendship. Paul is telling the Ephesians that the world is full enough of crude, bawdy and superficial friendships, where we men use humor like a skunk uses its spray -- because we're afraid of anyone getting close.  Most so-called friendships are like that. But Paul is pointing to a more excellent way. He is pointing to a way of friendship that is truly countercultural because it dares to openhearted and deep. In other words, Paul is telling the Ephesians that when they are together they can have nights like I had last night all the time.

I'm not sure I'm ready to do away with all my bawdy humor. When I get together with friends in the living room I'm still probably going to say a few things that's aren't quite fit for Sunday's pulpit. But this morning I know that whatever unwholesomeness might come out of my mouth comes at the expense of something much, much greater.  And last night, I experienced the greater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment