Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Daily Post for April 22, 2014


Today's Daily Lesson is from Psalm 103:

"Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
2Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
3 who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
5 who satisfies you with good."

I love this psalm. It reminds me of the blessed life I have in God - how living in and through God has brought me peace, joy, and deep contentment. And it reminds me not to take these things for granted, but to cherish and thank God for them.

Look at the psalm closely. God forgives where we have come up short (that is what the word "iniquity" means - to fall short). God heals the diseases of our hearts - we might call these our addictive thinking and behaviors. God redeems us from the pit - the Bible says He sent His son all the way into hell to reach the lost. He crowns us with steadfast love and mercy - meaning we are part of His royal family and family is family. And God satisfies us with good - meaning we delight in this life with God and don't need any other to make us happy.

For a lot of years I tried to do life my way. I struggled, was unhappy and always felt alienated from myself and others and also ashamed of my inner shadows. I responded to all this with a pattern of behavior which was selfish, self-destructive, and further isolating. I am grateful that I have found healing from all this in God. In God I have found a harmony, a joy, and deep reconciliation with all things in my soul. All that is within me thanks God for these things.

My favorite of all time was my 5th grade teacher Marilyn Jamison. She was gracious and good and so very kind-hearted. I remember she had a saying if anyone forgot their supplies and needed to borrow a pencil, some paper or a ruler. She would always let us borrow from her supply and when doing so we would always be told, "Count your blessings."

I still count my blessings - every one of them.

Bless the LORD, O my Soul and let all that is within me bless a is holy name.

No comments:

Post a Comment